Monday, February 23, 2009

Playstation 3 Backward Compatibility

Apparently, today is PS2 Game Day on Amazon's gold box deals. I picked up Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4 which should get to me within the week. I expect to play it on my PS3, at least, whenever I have the time!

It should play...I own a PS3 80 GB, MGS bundle which I bought around the middle of last year, right before they all started to say that PS3 was going to get rid of backward compatibility. I think this is the first time in my entire life when "waiting" to get an electronic gadget wouldn't have been a good idea. So much for the rewards of delayed gratification!

Removing backward compatibility with PS2 from the PS3 is a terrible shame really. One of my main reasons for buying the PS3 is so I can play my old PS2 games (I have most of the Final Fantasy games, I think!), with the option of getting the newer versions of the game franchises I love in the future.

Since I got my PS3, I've only been playing PS2 games on it! So far, the following games I got work well enough:

1. Final Fantasy 12 (this is the one I'm working through)
2. Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
3. Harvest Moon - Save the Homeland
4. Grand Turismo 3
5. Monkey Island 4 - Escape from Monkey Island

The only PS3 game I have is Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto. Both are too violent for an RPG loving person like me!

This is the first time I got Shin Megami Tensei. I read some reviews that said it was pretty good. We'll see if Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4 works well on the PS3, and will post a report here later!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you good at grand turismo 3?

Meg said...

No, I'm not that good at grand turismo 3. I'm more the RPG/Adventure kind of gamer, who happens to like cheating and going through walkthroughs ;)