Monday, March 9, 2009

PS3 Blues

About a couple of weeks ago, I said that I will test and see if Shin Megami Tensei worked on my PS3. Yes, it actually did play! It seems like the PS2 emulator in the PS3 works really well. Too bad that the new units had done away with backward compatibility.

I must say, I love my PS3. I love the graphics, the speed, the blu-ray capabilities, the way it can do an automatic slide show of pictures in your SD card. It's all really awesome. BUT, while we were showing a guest of ours the neat things the PS3 can do, it suddenly stopped reading disks! It stopped right in the middle of loading Grand Theft Auto IV.

I checked online to see what the problem could be. Apparently, a lot of people experience that same problem. How come I never saw those sites when I was checking for PS3 reviews? I was also worried that maybe Sony won't honor the warranty anymore (I bought the unit in July 2008), because I can't find the receipt, and I had bought the unit, of all places, from Circuit City, so I can't do another receipt. Good thing Sony accepts other documents as proof of purchase, i.e. card statements. If ever it was out of warranty, I read that Sony would have charged 150 dollars for repair. Yikes. I might as well buy a PS2 for 130! After all, most of the games I play are PS2s anyway (cheaper). But then again...who would want to go back to using PS2 Memory Cards after experiencing virtual memory cards saved on the PS3 hard disk? I want my PS3 back!!!!

In the meantime, I thought I might as well get that zelda game I always wanted, and try playing with the Wii while waiting. I think that the PS2 is even better than the Wii...okay, please don't kill me people! The Wii is fun, I guess, if you play with other people. Most people are too busy, though. I must be the only person my age who is still into those "Mickey Mouse" things, as my dad calls all animation and video games, no matter how violent, gory, or bloody they are. I think it's an interesting concept, though, that you'd have to move while playing the game. But, if you wanted to use that as a way of getting fit or losing weight...well...I think people would be better off getting a treadmill!

I called Sony finally, and they were very nice about it (contrary to what the people on many of the forums I read said). They sent the box last week, and I sent the unit back the other day. Electronics and gadgets are quite iffy anyway. Blu-ray technology is quite new, so it's understandable I suppose, that you'd get quite a few problems here and there.

I just hope I get my unit back soon so I can play again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you're such a geek pal!