Monday, March 23, 2009

Wipe that Drool!

Instead of studying, I have spent the whole morning thinking and thinking of digital equipment. This is really very bad. I have never been so obsessed with something for a while now. Hmm..that's not quite true. I remember how I am always obsessed with something until I get it. It is such a human characteristic, this "greed." I remember obsessing over my PS3, and obsessing over the Wii. Now, I am obsessing over 4 lenses in particular. I am sure once I get those, I will be obsessing over a new camera (probably a D700). Woe is me. I have to stop doing this and think of something more productive, like making money!

What I should do is try to read more on photography and to take more pictures instead of trying to buy stuff all the time. Shopping and taking snazzy photos are 2 different things.

Incidentally, the other day, I was trying to take a picture of my university building at night, and the security guard stopped me. She said I am not allowed to take pictures, and only the school photographer is allowed! Where did that come from? There are 2 possible reasons why I am not allowed to take pictures. 1. It might be for security reasons. Am I a terrorist, looking for an entrance where I can plant an explosion for maximum bomb attention? That's a bit ridiculous since the school is not a military facility; or 2. It might be an intellectual property rights issue. I might start selling photos of my school as a postcard and make billions of dollars. Although the latter is more flattering, the truth is, I was only practicing and had gotten some very bad shots. Was my Nikon D80 that intimidating? I'll bet a point and shoot might even do better than the shots I took that night!

Oh well. Though the journey be rough, I will keep on going, as any aspiring artist must do! I should start posting more pictures to prove this, but I'm afraid once I start, I can't stop. That will all have to wait, then, for when school is over. It won't be too long now.

On the reading list: Scott Kelby's "Digital Photography" vol. 1 and vol. 2

No comments: