Thursday, December 3, 2009

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

One whole month has gone by, and not a single blog posting! Time really flies!

I finally read Twilight. I can understand why it's so popular. Stephenie Meyer uses simple language, fewer descriptions and a lot more dialogue. The book is easy reading and can appeal to women of any age, mostly teenagers, I imagine. I like how she can evoke the atmosphere in Forks, the rain and the dreariness.

I find her characters a little bland, though (maybe caught in the dreariness of the atmosphere?). Bella is always supposed to be unpredictable...but she seems to be predictably bland (and of course, at times, in love) to me. Edward is always either being furious, or chuckling, or amused, or in anguish. He "chuckles" at the weirdest times, too. So, since Bella thinks she's bland, it is told from Bella's viewpoint, ergo, the characters seem a bit bland. So it all works together.

Three-fourths of the novel just sets mood, the rest races to a satisfying conclusion. It's good light reading. I'm looking forward to the sequels later.

My reading list is full. I'm getting confused what to read next.

No comments: